Please Send Free Faxes Urging Support For Chairman Lamar Smith's New Bill Barring Most of These Recent De Facto Amnesty Shenanigans
Rep. Lamar Smith — the powerful Chairman of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee — has had enough of the Obama Administration thumbing its nose at Congress on the amnesty issue.
As our NumbersUSA Director of Content & Activism Chris Chmielenski writes, Rep. Smith (R-Texas) "is finalizing legislation that would prevent the Obama Administration from offering amnesty to millions of illegal aliens through deferred action or parole."
ACTION: Click on this link for the free fax to send to your U.S. Representative:
PRES. OBAMA'S BIGGEST DISAPOINTMNET WAS WHEN GRASSROOTS
BEAT THE DREAM ACT AMNESTY IN DECEMBER –
SO, HE'S MAKING IT HAPPEN WITHOUT CONGRESS
I'm sure you remember the Christmas message of the President that his biggest disappointment of the year was Congress' failure to pass the DREAM Act amnesty for young adult illegal aliens.
The President's failure on that front was because of the incredible outpouring of activism from all of you in the NumbersUSA network.
Even before the December vote, the President's people over at ICE (Immigration & Customs Enforcement) were coming up with the notion of an administrative amnesty. Now, a new memo from ICE Director John Morton tells his field staff to use prosecutorial discretion while enforcing federal immigration laws.
It appears he is telling his departments to refrain from enforcing the law against people who would have gotten an amnesty if the DREAM Act had passed.
Chairman Smith's HALT (Hinder the Administration's Legalization Temptation) Act would prevent the Obama Administration from:
- granting parole (except in narrow circumstances),
- issuing deferred action (except in narrow circumstances),
- issuing extended voluntary departure to removable aliens,
- granting work authorization to aliens on a discretionary basis,
- granting TPS to any new groups of aliens,
- waiving the three and 10 year bars to admittance for aliens who have been illegally present in the U.S., and
- granting cancellation of removal to illegal immigrants.
ICE MEMO GIVES 'DISCRETION' TO LET MOST ILLEGAL ALIENS REMAIN IN THE COUNTRY
Morton's memo last week told field officials how to exercise "prosecutorial discretion" such as by granting deferred action, "deciding whom to stop, question, or arrest", deciding "whom to detain", and "dismissing" a removal proceeding.
The memo made clear that potentially millions of deportable illegal and criminal immigrants would be potentially eligible for administrative amnesty. It said:
"When weighing whether an exercise of prosecutorial discretion may be warranted for a given alien, ICE officers, agents and attorneys should consider all relevant factors, such as:
- ICE's immigration enforcement priorities. (ICE has expressed little interest in deporting illegal immigrants who have not yet been convicted of 'serious' crimes.)
- The person's "pursuit of education in the United States". (The Migration Policy Institute estimates that more than two million illegal immigrants would be eligible for the DREAM Act amnesty).
- "Whether the person has a U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse, child or parent. . . . Whether the person or the person's spouse is pregnant . . . ." (The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that illegal immigrants have 4.5 million U.S.-born and thus U.S. citizen children.)
- The persons length of presence in the U.S. (The Pew Hispanic Center has estimated that millions of illegal immigrants have been in the U.S. since the 1990s.)
While the Administration can't grant citizneship through its executive authority, it can shield illegal aliens from being deported and issue temporary work authorization to illegal aliens who receive the administrative amnesty.
We are especially concerned about any work permits that may be issued through these de facto amnesties. It is one thing to give a "presence amnesty" which is what happens when the government decides to delay deportation. It is quite another thing to give a "jobs amnesty" which essentially is the government giving an illegal alien the right to steal a job from an American worker.
I know that many of you have been most disturbed by various news reports about what amounts to "executive nullification" of the laws of Congress. So, I know you are exremely grateful for the leadership of Chairman Smith in tackling head-on what could become a constitutional crisis.
Lamar Smith's HALT Act will leave no doubt for anybody what the will of the U.S. Congress is. We're hopeful the President will back down rather than throw the country into a constitutional crisis.
Please send your fax to support the HALT bill, and make sure you have also sent faxes of support for Chairman Smith's national mandatory E-Verify bill.