March 28, 2020

Obama: Terror rampage not enough to suspend ‘fiancee’ visa program

Obama: Terror rampage not enough to suspend ‘fiancee’ visa program This July 27, 2014 file photo provided by U.S. Customs and Border Protection shows Tashfeen Malik, left, and Syed Farook, as they passed through O’Hare International Airport in Chicago.The White House said Thursday it won’t seek an immediate suspension of the “fiancee” visa program under which the female terrorist who massacred 14 people in California last week entered the U.S.

“This is something that is under careful review” by the administration, said White House press secretary Josh Earnest. He added that, if the review by the State Department and Department of Homeland Security recommends changes to the K-1 visa program, President Obama “won’t hesitate to order those reforms.”

But he said there are no plans to order a halt to the program temporarily while the review is ongoing.

Tashfeen Malik, the female suspect in the massacre in San Bernardino, California, came to the U.S. from Pakistan on a fiancee visa, which allows foreigners to enter the country to marry an American citizen. Investigators believe she was “radicalized” several years prior to entering the U.S.

She and her husband, Syed Farook, were shot dead by police after the mass slaying.

Mr. Earnest said making changes to the visa program “certainly seems the likely outcome” after federal investigators are finished looking into weaknesses in the system.

“Somebody entered the United States through the K-1 visa program and committed an act of terrorism,” he said.

Source:  Washington Times

Share
Source: